Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Inevitable 2013 Recap

This has been a long year I feel like, but with that said… tomorrow is already going to be 2014. Should an exclamation mark have ended that? I dunno. Still not totally sure how I feel about it. Feels like any other day really.

There was some heartache in 2013... I watched my parents get divorced after 20 something years of marriage, met their new significant others, saw sides of people that I didn’t want to see, got tendinitis in my elbows, dealt with some serious crazies… but with that, there were so many good things that happened this year too! Overwhelmingly so!

New tattoos, took up blogging (not very well as I don’t post as much as I should), got an amazing old sewing machine that I’ve rocked like no other, made new friends, got a new job (which as of 2014 will be full-time with benefits), started doing children’s ministry (Justin doing high school ministry)… got some seriously awesome new watches…

And in January we got to celebrate being newlyweds with a second honeymoon! Thanks to Uncle Dave for letting us use his time share and Justin selling his bike the day before we left for San Francisco so we’d have money for the week. And what a week it was! From the freezing cold air, expensive taxi rides, sitting on a train for 11 hours both ways, almost missing our ferry from Alcatraz which would have made us late for the bus back to the hotel, nude protestors to a random acoustic show Justin played, seeing the golden gate bridge, the best continental breakfast we’ve ever had (minus the meat, because well, they didn’t have any), free dvd rentals at night, “Jeeves” the guy at the front desk, riding on a double decker tour bus and getting to see the whole city! So many things! Though the best part was just being able to spend time with my HUSBAND, a week’s worth of time, just the two of us together. The most perfect week ever.

Participated in another Be the Church where the church goes out on a Sunday to restore the community rather than a service and this time my sisters came! We also participated in like 2 other houses. 
Yay for the Ninja Team! Still waiting on the shirts though.

We helped/watched a couple friends come to Christ and that has been such an incredible thing to experience in. Seeing their faith in Christ grow stronger all the while ours does too.

Learned how to make simple syrup, it’s just that, simple. It has really helped out in the Making Justin Sweet Tea All the Time Department.

Bought a Roku which has been a solid investment. By investment, I mean, “investment.” No more Netflix on the computer! Yee haw! (Sorry about that last part, listening to some Mike Ness outlaw song where there’s a lot of whistling and yee haws!)

Wednesdays have become my favorite day of the week, not because its “hump day” (I hate that stupid camel commercial) or whatever, but because the day seems so much shorter. No midday or pm kids! And then the best part after that is that I get to hang out with my littlest sister Kate. We pretty much don’t do anything other than drive around, get ice cream or Starbucks, and visit the fabric store. It’s the best time really. She’s sweet and cute and a big dork, like me.

Got the IPhone 5! That’s not really big news, its actually really old news. Just looking around as I think about all the things that the year has entailed and my eyes passed over my phone.

Anyways…

The cars have been up and down. Mostly up though! Thanks to Justin, the bondo work is almost completely done! I say almost completely because I don’t quite remember if it’s almost done or completely done… Either way, it looks so awesome! Justin has done an amazing job!

We celebrated our one year anniversary!!! And what a nice night it was! Driving around, dressing up all fancy, dinner at a swanky place… One year married. Sighhh. I couldn’t be anymore lucky. I’ve found the one whom my soul loves. He’s been there for me through the good, the bad, the broke, the sick, the busy, the great… And he loves me. Only me. Well, and our two little cats. But that’s a different kind of love. Obviously.

I made a really awesome quilt for Justin’s grandma (blog on that later)! And she loved it, so much so she cried. And then cried again when she called me a couple days later to thank me (again).

We helped our friends welcome their healthy little baby Wyatt into the world! So adorable! And so tiny. He’s actually pretty normal sized for a newborn, but he’s just so tiny and fragile!

Another one of our couple friends FINALLY got engaged! And I’m the matron of honor… apparently that’s what you’re called if you’re the maid of honor but married. Who knew!

I know I’m forgetting things, but honestly, despite the small amount of sucky things… this year has been one the best years I’ve ever had. Mostly I think because I got to spend it with Justin. Mostly because I know that I’ll always have him. And he’s mine. And I’m his.

So I know everyone wants to hear about resolutions, but I don’t want to label them as that because really folks, how many people actually follow through with their “resolutions”? No one. Unfortunately, I don’t really have another word to call them by… so I’m just going to list them.

This year has been toughest on me and my mom. And I love her and I miss her and one of the most important things on my list is mending that relationship with my mom. Colossians 3:13 “bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

Another thing that I’ve been sucking at is making time with God. So I’ve made reading plans and a planner that is going to help me with that.

I don’t want to curse anymore. Not that I think that it’s a terrible thing to do or anything, but I just don’t think it’s necessary. So no more cursing. Matthew 12:36 “…men will have to give account on the Day of Judgment for every careless word that they have spoken…”

I need more self-control and discipline. In the mental and physical well-being parts. I need to be consistent in my routines.

Loving others. “…love your neighbor as yourself" and “Jesus had compassion on them because they were harassed like sheep with a shepherd." I just need to keep reminding myself that. Everyone is going through something. Which brings me to the next part of this, praying for others. I don’t do enough of this. Because everyone is going through something, but as it says in Philippians “do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit…” Both loving and praying for others go hand in hand.


All that's on my mind for the new year are: getting out of debt, starting to save for a home, read the new testament again, read the old testament, mend relationships, get physically fit and spend more quality time with my husband.

What are you thinking about as this year comes to it's close and the next one begins?!

2 comments:

  1. Who's to say when you should and shouldn't post? I don't think that marks how good you are at blogging at all. I love reading when you do post! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some awesome "resolutions" I like to call them goals. haha. There is a book I am kind of reading, but haven't taken a good interest in it (b/c it doesn't quite apply to my life at the moment) but I think you would like it. It is called Beyond Boundaries and you are completely welcome to borrow it if you want to. It is by Townsend. Let me know and I'll get it to you :)

    ReplyDelete